Friday, February 6, 2009

#10

Ok ok I have to admit it.... I actually researched the average time period that pregnant women experience morning sickness. I was JUST CHECKING to see where it would be a feasible point to plan a kid. I have heard so much advice, and it's all different, because its based on experience-- which is honestly the only qualified advice that exists. But this is what I was looking up-- that if 'something happens' (look at me, to sheepish to say conception) between Christmas and Valentines NEXT YEAR, I won't have morning sickness until I'm ready to defend (if I follow my schedule).

But then again, I kinda think I won't get bad sickness. When I was prepping myself for 5 months on an ocean going vessel, I got as drunk as possible, then woke up early and rode every ride at Worlds of Fun (KC's version of six flags). AND I didn't hurl. I was hung over, and realized that in no way, shape, or form was my idea a GOOD one, but it comforted me enough to make me think I wouldn't have horrible sea sickness..... and I didn't. Atleast, not until we went through the typhoons. But any human would feel horrible if you were rocking back and forth at 45degree angles 24/7. Although, the only reason I spewed then was the wine, not the barf feeling.

But, I know that a strong stomach doesn't mean anything, when it comes to INTERNAL reasons to barf. I just think that I can stop the urge to purge (but then again, if someone's inside me it'll be their call not mine).

Ah sigh, I can't think of any other euphimisms for puke. And I'm not ready to seriously plan a child. I don't think. I mean, I'm still on birth control.

3 comments:

supadiscomama said...

sorry to burst your bubble, but you really won't know what will happen until it happens. I was barely sick--constantly nauseous, but no puking. Other friends were puking a lot well into the second trimester. It's a crap shoot.

BTW: I get terrible motion sickness, and I had the mildest morning sickness of all of my friends.

That said, though, it will *never* be a "good" time to get pg and have a baby--especially in our chosen profession. So, I say, if you want to do it and you feel ready--then do it :)

M said...

Sorry my friend, but I have to reiterate Supa's sentiment. I have never been motion sickness, and I am among those who gets horrific morning sickness. It isn't so bad that I seek medication, but the first time I threw up on average b/w 2 & 3 times a day. After a few weeks I figured out a few tricks to prevent the vomiting, but I still experienced all day nausea. I was sick from week 6 until about week 18, and then from about week 20 till week 24 I just threw up first thing in the morning and was fine for many weeks. The morning vomit returned at the end of the first trimester. Let me say vomiting at 35 weeks pregnant is not fun.

Everyone tells you the second pregnancy will be different. Um, well for me, not so much. In fact, the morning sickness, which started off milder, quickly got worse. I had about a week where I couldn't keep anything down but saltines, cheerios, and chicken broth. I threw up breakfast, lunch, and dinner. C was on the verge of forcing me to go to the doctor when the worst of it passed. At 20 weeks now, it has mostly passed, but I still get sick first thing in the morning at least 3 times a week. And since I'm also chasing Wild Man, it's easier just to vomit and get on with it than to use any of the many tricks I used when pregnant with him.

Here's the point after all that: motion sickness (or hungover-sickness) isn't a good indicator for how morning sick you may or may not be. Morning sickness is caused, we think, but your body adjusting to the huge amount of hormones in your body. Some people experience nothing (like my sister) other people have to take medication.

I also second Supa's sentiment about timing. There is no such thing as the perfect time. There are certainly better times than others, but no perfect times. Oh, and as a word of personal advice, if you're thinking of getting pregnant around the time you're going to defend, keep in mind, in all likelihood, you will be consumed by getting pregnant (especially if you're planning a year out!). You may not want to be consumed by anything other than your dissertation at that point.

thursdaynext.21 said...

M, that's a very valid point. I hadn't even thought about the obsession part!