Thursday, July 24, 2008

Let me just say, I busted my ass getting an article ready for a journal last month. In fact, I tabled my proposal so I could GET it done, which landed me in salty water with the Chair. Although, she just thinks I'm lazy and doesn't know I was actually busy. Then again, she doesn't think that wedding planning can keep one busy.

Anyways, I heard back from the editor. Sadly, she mis-remembered the debate I had with the other author at a conference two years ago. She thought we researched the same source but in different countries. In fact, we were just a few miles away from each other in Dublin. That will impact the direction she was going for, most definitely.

So holy s---. I break my ass, and it may not be published. yeay me.

While I am annoyed, I'm not surprised or really offended, because it was too much of a good thing to actually happen to me, in this stage of my career.

On the wedding front-- and let me preface this by saying that mostly, I laughed when these things happened:

Rehearsal dinner double booked (you know that)
florist ordered wrong flowers, tried to raise price ( she said she'd fix it)
Cake lady fell through (now my sister is making all three cakes, not just grooms cake)
hotel sold out, J's friends have no place to stay (cause THEY didn't make resv. on time. guys.)
bridesmaid got the wrong top (right size, she can wear it, it's just not what she wanted)
Hairstylist quit (but she offered to come to the house to do my hair)
running out of money (as expected)
Host couple 1 is missing half, because my dad's friend has something better to do that day. (actually, he is a photographer and I think he's sore that I didn't ask him to do the pictures)
had to cancel my bridesmaid fun morning (we have to take stuff to reception location)

But like I told my mom and fiancee, as long as I know the bills get paid, I'm good. It's all just details anyways. Nobody remembers if the bride had a manicure, or if the flowers weren't exactly what the M o B wanted, or that the reception wasnt AS fancy as others. My mom worries that the rehearsal dinner is a cash bar (MoG won't buy alcohol on principle, which is fine), and we can only provide beer (miller lite) and wine (house chardonnay and merlot) and tea/coffee. Hmm, does that include soda? I better ask my mom. I certainly can't pay for it--- I know my cousins, they'll drink more soda than the cost of a keg!

We've learned--- or I've gotten J and my mom to believe in my list of priorities. If you can't pay for 1-5, then 6-10 gets deleted in order. Decide what's most important and maintain it, but forget the matching plastic bowls of nuts-- any old bowl will do. For example, we wanted an open bar. Then it turned into beer,wine and open for the bridal party. Now its just beer and wine for everyone. I figure, we're spending over 2 thou at a hotel, we shouldn't feel bad about not buying a bunch of shots or fancy mix drinks.

And to think...... once this is over, we still have a reception in September down South!

No comments: