Thursday, December 13, 2007

Oral exams next week

Finally heard back from the chair, and I know most people would say 'of course you passed' but as always, I doubted a little. Must now get my travel plans in order, in hopes that I can get home this year, in between ice storms, I hope.

The morning of the exam, last thursday, I couldn't help but stop in the computer lab and watch the online press conference at 930. (exam at 10). They were announcing victims names from the shooting and I had to know. I've always heard that the exams are very emotional--- you spend so much time, effort, energy, worry on this one 4 hour test, that people usually cry afterwards. Well, I couldn't help but cry before hand. And I'm quite proud of the fact that I actually provided satisfactory discussions despite being distracted. I am a bit worried on my answer concerning my interpretatation of Inderpal Grewal and Karen Caplan's article “Global Identities: Theorizing Transnational Studies of Sexuality”. GLQ 7:4 (2001): 663-679.

Must go study now.

Good note: we found a 'bigwheels' for my nephew's christmas present. You'd be surprised how many cheesy children's show-inspired trikes there are out there and yet, we only found 2 big wheels. I'm tempted to cut a hole in the tire and throw a rock in, so it'll sound just like the one my sisters and I had so long ago!

I also called my sis yesterday, and my nephew was on her shoulder (close to the phone) crying. She was trying to coax him with a bit of chocolate (he's been sick) and had no luck, so I talked to him, asked him what he was eating, and how nice that was, yadda yadda yadda. He started to get the siren whining cry started again, and I asked him if I could come over and play next week, he whined a 'yes' but didn't stop. Then I asked "Can J come play next week" and he immediately stopped crying and chirped "yes, O-K!"

My goodness, J hung out with him for less than a week this past summer--- and that's the reaction he gets! He hasn't seen J since August--- remember this kid isn't even 2 yet!

He did then tell me that he loved me and missed me and can't wait to see me and bring J with me. smart kid.

No comments: